THE ELEGANT DUDE!(a subject that will be addressed frequently around here)
It is not easy to confront high-style and high-fashion in a city that calls itself a resort town.
My memories take me back to the years when my family and I used to travel to the Caribbean for a summer retreat or end of the year vacation.
We were not millionaires, not even close to it, but if I recall correctly, my mother and her collection of scarves travelled with us all the time….and boy, she knew how to tie each scarf in many, many ways to change her look from ultra-elegant to urban or even simple cover from the sun.
Here in Phoenix, we live in a city where you show some of your best style when readying for a party or to a special occasion. Not necessarily for the day-to-day activity, or the impromptu run to the mall or even to dinner. The “dudes” prefer to dress down with baggy pants and sneakers with athletic socks…which is a bit too disheveled for my taste. (not to mention untucked shirts and no belt)
Here are some suggestions that will keep you away from looking shaggy and at the same time help you to cultivate your style. (Last thing we want is for your friends to think you are spending all your time reading GQ or watching Bravo.)
So, get ready… here are my suggestions.
Before we start, please get a pair of slacks (read pants) your size – know the size of your waist and your inseam lenght!, so let’s start…
(to go to the mall, lunch with buddies, the game, coffee with the fiancée, etc… on a chill afternoon)
– For this mild winter, consider colored sneakers (acid tones or bright tones), or even running shoes,…either with NO socks, or you can add colored socks will offer a “surprise” when you sit and or cross your legs.
– A dark tone jacket (tuxedo jacket is better) and a pair of dark denim will take you anywhere. Try for the jacket to be fitted to the best of what your body can take.
– A dark scarf or even an “infinity” scarf on a dark tone will keep you warm and the layers and textures will frame your face and will alter your shape and structure.
– Simple high cotton v–neck shirt on a base tone (white, grey, black, dark blue) will do.
– If the occasion needs a more dressy style, consider a button down shirt (hopefully within the same hue or color scheme of your shoes), the same tone or color in two different pieces of garments will help to harmonize your outfit.
– If you are fashion-forward or simply feel BOLD that day…get a multicolored printed pocket-square and add it to your jacket!
– Sunglasses (not shown) always play a good roll, if they are “pilot” shape, better.
– Consider colored sneakers (acid tones or bright tones), or even running shoes.
So, please consider next time when you close the door (either your car or your home) behind you, there is a chance for you to be the “dude” you admire on magazines or on TV .
You must log in to post a comment.